Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Early Rising


I hate
waking up now,
what time is it? Screw it,
it is not worth it now.
I hate running, I am going back
to bed.

(Early Rising)

For my poem I chose to write using the cinquain form of poetry.  It is a short simple style that for one poem uses five lines with a differing number of syllables in each line.  I felt this form of poetry would work best for my idea which was about waking up early in the morning in order to go run and how much I hate it.  It’s a short simple idea that doesn’t need much explanation or vast imagery in order to convey it.  That is why I felt that the cinquain was the perfect form of poetry to get my message across, because it is short and sweet.
            Another reason the cinquain works is because it complements the content of my poem.  The way I wrote the poem was for it to sound like a person who had just woken up and seen what time it is.  Since it is early in the morning and the person just woke up, they are not going to have a lengthy well thought out debate with themselves as to whether they should go running.  Instead they are going to have short quick thoughts in order to justify going back to sleep.
            I did stray from some of the forms rules from what I have seen in most examples.  In all the examples I have seen punctuation is kept at an absolute minimum and the entire structure is made into one long sentence.  I did not do this instead I had lots of punctuation in order to make it sound more like a conversation.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done, Matt. There is definitely an onomatopoetic vibe to this poem. It's stiltedness, the sense of disorientation--it does, indeed, capture the sensation of someone who isn't much of a fan of waking up. Also: I do think the way you punctuated the poem, in spite of the rules, was useful. What's key here is the stilted rhythm, to which the punctuation adds greatly.

    ReplyDelete