Thursday, February 2, 2012

On Music


Sitting at my desk after a long day of studying, homework, and just general errands I had to do, I do my best to try to relax.  So I hop on YouTube and start playing some Tool and just sit there while I listen to the music and let myself unwind.
It truly is amazing how much music is out there that can fit any mood or feeling I could possibly have and fit any situation I am in perfectly.  Feeling really up beat and happy, toss on some Queen.  Need to feel smart while studying, play some Mozart.  Trying to set the mood on a date, put on some good old Barry White.  About to get into a drunken bar fight, play some Dropkick Murphys.  Pist off at the world and want to punch someone in the face, blare some Dying Fetus.
With all this amazing musical variety in the world it amazes me how completely dismissive people can be of certain music for no reason at all.  Some people won’t even give some bands a try just because they are a particular genre of music.  Trust me I have tried plenty of times to show people the amazingness of bands like Mastadon, only to be immediately shut down once they have heard they were metal.
Sadly it pains me to say that I used to be this exact same way, I would immediately dismiss someone trying to show me what they believed to be awesome music just because I did not like the genre.  At first it was rap, I could hardly stand listening to it.  Eventually one of my friends forced me to listen to what they thought was one of the greatest rap.  Grudgingly I listened and was immediately at how much I liked it.  I never would have thought that I would ever enjoy a group called the Wu-Tang Clan but now I can’t help but love some of their amazing songs like C.R.E.A.M. and Methodman.
Since then I have always at least tried to be open to listening to new music and because of this I have come to love new artists I never thought I would end up liking.  This love of music can be seen on my iPod were I have everything on the musical spectrum on their from Enya to Cannibal Corpse.  By being open to new things even as simple as music we are able to open ourselves up to whole new experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment